Sunday, September 21, 2014

You'll never know if you can do it if you don't try.

Recovery
I’ve been feeling pretty good on my runs this week. 
I ran at least 3 miles four times this week.
I ran the 5K in 31 minutes (10 min/mi pace)
Not the fastest but it was the fastest I’ve run since surgery. 
My wife reminded me that I said I was going to do the 5K, even if that meant a slow shuffle with someone holding me up, and someone holding a catheter bag.
I made it.  I stopped numerous times but just to take pictures.
No soreness from running but I still have a little soreness in my abdominal area from the surgery.  It’s all kind of around the area where the incisions were made and the robot stuck it’s little arms in me.  It’s pretty mild and just feels like I did a few too many sit-ups.
I’m still not operating on full energy.
I was a little tired each day after work and after the 5K I was ready for bed about 7:30.
And... I went the entire day Saturday without a pad for incontinence.  I really don’t think I need them any more but I’ll keep using them at work just in case.

Goals
My brain still isn’t able to set goals for too far in the future.  It just doesn’t want to go there yet.  I’ve been getting a lot of emails from different group-lists about Ironman Lake Tahoe.  I just delete them. 
I want to take the rest of this year to recover and get strong and healthy. 
I do have a half marathon in two weeks and have no idea if I can do it or not.
I figure I can do a lot of walking.
I’m going to try.
And if I fail, I’ll try again another day.
I’ll get there someday.
I’ll get back and run marathons again too.
I’ll try for an ironman too someday.
I’ll never know if I can do it if I don't try.

No comments: