Sunday, March 6, 2016

8 Weeks post-op

At 8 weeks after reattaching my bicep back to the bone I'm doing much better.

Four weeks after surgery the Dr. took off the plaster splint and gave me a range of motion brace.
I asked him if I could jog a little, like one block at a time.
He gave me a cautious ok as long as I didn't fall.
I built that 1 block up to 1/4 mile, then 1/2 mile, and finally 1 mile at a time.
On the weekends I did several 8 - 10 mile walks with some run breaks in between.

At 7.5 weeks after surgery, the Dr. gave me an all clear to increase my running intervals.
I ran 2 miles non-stop the next day and walked another mile.
Yesterday I put in 12 miles.  Pretty much all of it running with a few of bathroom, water, and short walk breaks.
Pretty amazed that I could make it 12 miles with almost 6 weeks of no running and another 4 weeks of running nothing longer than a mile.

Next week is the Shamrock 1/2 marathon.  I signed up for it a long time ago so I figured I would at least walk most of it.  Looks like I might be able to salvage a good run out of it after all.

As for the arm; I was amazed how much movement I could do after 4 weeks in a splint.  I could almost stretch my arm 180 degrees straight.
Physical Therapy has pretty much been trying to get full range of motion in the arm with no lifting of anything over a couple of pounds.

My arm is pretty good at 8 weeks out.  The bicep muscle main function is controlling the twisting motion you use in things like using a screwdriver or turning a key in the door.  I didn't really understand this until the Physical Therapist showed me on a skeleton.

My next goal with PT is to get pronation (turning my palm down towards the ground) and supination (turning my palm up to the sky) I've only been doing this for a few days now and already see a lot of improvement.

On the downer note; I had the Dr. sign the cancelation of my ironman registration so I can get a refund.  He told me to not give up but to look for another ironman down the road.
I'm going to wait until I'm back on the bike and back to swimming before I make any decisions on what's next.
It could be another month or two before I can start cycling and swimming.

1 comment:

Matt P said...

Doing great Bill. Keep on keepin' on. Thanks for posting.