Friday, May 2, 2014

The "C" Word!

April 25, 2014
"The Day" - The day people will ask me about.
The day I got the big C dropped on me.
Cancer.
Prostate Cancer.
But I'm only 52.
I run 30+ miles a week.
I cycle.
I swim.
I only eat organic whole foods.
No processed foods.
I'm training for my first full Ironman.
Really… This is really happening???
I'm not scared - I'm mad!
Doesn't this piece of shit cancer inside me know that I have an Ironman to train for?
5 months?
Could I just wait 5 months and then do some kind of treatment?
What if I do radiation? Will I have enough energy to keep training?
What if I do surgery? Will I be able to get back on the bike soon enough to be ready?
What books should I read?
What's the right treatment?
Where can I find someone like me who can give me answers?

It's been 1 week now since I found out I had prostate cancer.  I was pretty much given the option of surgery to remove the prostate or radiation of some form.

It's been really hard to think straight with all these thoughts bombarding my brain.  Yesterday morning when I was running the dog at 5:00AM, all this crap kept rushing into my thoughts.
"If I do ____ I might be able to continue my training…"
Then I realized; just postpone the Ironman; do it next year.
Do it with a vengeance against the cancer.
My head all of a sudden could see past 5 months.
I now can think of what will be best for me 5 years from now, 10 years from now, 20 years from now…

I thought I should do this blog;  for anyone who finds themselves in my same situation and for myself.  Just so I can get my thoughts out.

And with that I begin my journey.  My journey won't end when the cancer is gone or when I've completed an ironman, but that may be the end of this blog.  We'll see…

1 comment:

DavidPen said...

Thanks Bill. An encouraging, insightful blog for me, being 2 weeks pre-surgery.