Monday, May 5, 2014

My Dr. had Prostate Cancer

After my biopsy results I tried to get in to see my primary care Dr. of nearly 20 years. His next appointment wasn't until June so I emailed him and got in today.
He had just gone through prostate cancer treatment himself a year ago.

It seems odd to say God's hand is in such a bad thing, but how amazing that my Dr. went through the same thing himself.  He started out with about the same numbers as I have.
(FYI: My numbers - PSA 4.7, Gleason 3+3 in 4 of the 12 biopsies.)
He researched all the options and read everything he could get his hands on.  He consulted with his friends in the medical field and they all pretty much pointed him in the same direction.  Radical prostatectomy (surgery)  He was told because he was young and very healthy his best options would be surgery.
When I asked him questions about things like Dynamic Contrast-Enhanced MRI and Color Doppler Ultrasound, he smiled and said you've been doing your homework…  Ultimately since it's after my biopsy, the DCE-MRI and Color Doppler Ultrasound really wouldn't change much as far as my choice for treatment.  If they did show that the cancer has spread further, or that it wasn't over such a large area, that wouldn't change my choice for treatment.

He gave me the answers to most of my questions and my wife's (Andrea) questions before we asked.  He said he was going to refer me to his urologist/oncologist before I even got to that question.  I feel so good that it's like he did all of my research for me.  He said that it may be 2-3 months before I get in to see Dr. J. but I don't need to be in any rush.  After that it may be a month or so before I could get into surgery.

I'd say that I'm about 95% sure I'll do surgery and Andrea is 100% sure I'll do surgery.  I just want to keep an open mind so I don't shut the door on anything.  I have an appointment with a radiation oncologist tomorrow and Andrea thought I should cancel.  I want to go so I at least have the information and I can ask them about options if cancer comes back sometime after surgery.

Thanks Tanya for being there with us.  Tanya is Andrea's life ling friend of 40+ years who use to be a nurse.

No comments: