Friday, August 22, 2014

3 Weeks Cancer Free

I’m pretty happy with my recovery so far.  I continue to get better every day but when I look at in now week by week... Wow, what an improvement.

WARNING: If you really don’t want to read about catheter bags and bodily functions then skip this post.

Week 1 out of the hospital:  I was connected by a short leash to a catheter bag.  I pretty much stayed at home and did a few short outings with Andrea.  Had the catheter taken out the second half of the week.  What freedom that was.  It seemed like every time I went from sitting to standing, standing to walking, walking to walking up or down steps, walking straight to turning right or left... it was leak, leak, leak...   A little depressing wondering if this would be my new normal but trying to tell myself it will improve.  My body was not functioning normally on either end.  My stomach was still pretty sore, especially when going from sitting to standing.  Just stretching out the abdominal muscles after being contracted in the sitting position.  On the good side, I did take a few short walks around the neighborhood and a couple of short drives to the store.

Week 2:  Did a lot of reading, napping, hanging with the dogs, and 2-3 walks a day.  Went into work for less than an hour then home for a nap.  My body was beginning to function a little better each day.  Still pretty sore when I went from sitting for a long time to standing.  I was getting up 6 or 7 times a night to go to the bathroom, but I started making through the night without leaking.

Week 3: Hardly any soreness in the stomach when going from sitting to standing.  Increased my walking so I'm taking two or three walks a day, about 3-4 miles.  I’m only getting up 2-3 times a night; I even got in 4 hours of continuous sleep one night.  Remaining dry in the mornings, but more leaking in the afternoon and evening. But... improving.  Bodily functions are beginning to get back to normal.  I’ve been researching cancer fighting foods and came up with an awesome turmeric salad dressing.  (I’ll share it in another post.)


Hopefully I’ll continue to see daily and weekly progress like I have been.  I went to a prostate cancer support group in Sacramento and one guy who had his surgery a week before me said that he was doing a lot of things around his 3rd week and had a little set back.  Good advice.  I’ll continue to take it easy.

No comments: