Saturday, June 27, 2015

Eyes in the night

It's been hot in Sacramento the past few days and I needed to get in a 20+ mile training run 4 weeks before the San Francisco marathon.
I decided I'd get up early and start in the dark.  A good chance to break in my new headlamp.

There's a lot of animals running around in the dark and my super bright headlamp let me see all of their eyes glowing.
The following is what I saw and what it actually turned out to be.

First off was the Honey Badger:
You know, the ones that eat cobras!
I'm not sure if we have cobras in the foothills around Folsom but I did see a second pair of eyes.








What it actually was?
A cute mama skunk with her baby.












Next was the pack of Mountain Lions!
Probably eating that guy who passed me running up the hill.  Serves him right for passing me.












After about 3 seconds I realized it wasn't mountain lions, but a little family of deer.
I actually felt bad for scaring them off the trail into the bushes.












Then I thought I was in for it!
Eyes all over the place!
What the heck was it?
I swear this is what I saw.
They were all over the place in the bushes and tall grass.  I guess I shouldn't look off to the side of the trail when I'm running in the dark.

I knew this was it.  My last run on earth.  These things were going to kill me or take me to another planet.







What was it?

A family of Jackalope!
I wasn't even sure they existed until now.

Oh wait a minute…













It's just a bunch of little bunnies.













Then I saw this!
OR-7 the wolf that made its way to California, and I'm going to be it's first human meal.












Thank God it was only a little coyote.

Cute little guy.  I wanted to take him home for Rocket and Annabelle to play with.












I really did see all of these animals before the sun came up.
The scary thing is that when I saw the coyote come out of the bushes onto the trail I actually thought it was a mountain lion.  I wasn't scared.  My first thought was to try to get closer and get a picture, the exact response both times I've seen bears in the wild.
What a great start to the day.
Can't wait to get out there early in the morning again.






1 comment:

Kathleen Noble said...

Love it - made me smile. :-)