Monday, July 20, 2015

Hollywood, San Francisco, Coeur d"Alene

Life is good.
Closing in on 1 year cancer-free!
I just returned home from a 5 day road trip with my wife, Andrea, that included a great Amos Lee / David Gray concert at the Hollywood Bowl, a short visit with mom, and a stop-over in San Luis Obispo.


Sunday, July 26 is the San Francisco Marathon.
Last year I registered to run it but since it was just three days before my surgery I decided that I wanted all of my healing mojo that the body does to work on healing my surgery, not tired glutes and quads.
Last year I just ran the first half.

This year it's redemption time.
Cancer isn't stopping me from completing the San Francisco Marathon this year.


The other big race I missed out on last year was Ironman Lake Tahoe.  When I was diagnosed I wrestled with the idea of waiting until October to have surgery so I could complete my first full Ironman.  It took a few days to realize how stupid that was and I gave up that idea. (It ended up being cancelled due to the smoke and fire in the Tahoe area last year.)

My goal for this year was to get back into marathon shape.
I've done that and I'm ready.

A few days ago I was in the grocery store and saw a guy with and Ironman Coeur d'Alene shirt.  I knew that it took place a few weeks ago.  When I got home I looked it up on the internet.  I'd heard it was a great race but it takes place in June, not really enough time for me to get serious training during summer vacation.
WAIT!
In 2016 Ironman Coeur d'Alene has been moved to August.
This gives me the entire summer to train.
That's even better than Lake Tahoe in September when I'm back in school.
Sign me up.
I'm in.
Coeur d'Alene here we come.


Cancer; looks like you aren't going to stop me from doing that Ironman.

No comments: