Saturday, May 24, 2014

A 2nd opinion

Anyone just finding this blog may want to go back to the first post and read up to today, or not.

Went for a 2nd opinion yesterday.  This was the Dr. of my Dr.  Wow, what an amazing Dr.  First off we waited over two hours until I got to see him. (I was warned about this from my Dr. so I had plenty of reading material.) Once we got in to talk with him he spent about two and a half hours with us.

Good news or bad news???
Ok… we'll go with the bad news first.
Something that the first Dr. didn't tell me (or if he did, he didn't make it sound of any importance) one of the biopsy cores showed "perineural invasion".
Uh, what the heck does that mean? It means that the cancer has found a nerve in the prostate and has grabbed on and started following it.  Makes it easier for the cancer to get out of the prostate.
Even I can figure that's not good.
And… he did a DRE (Digital Rectal Exam - not fun) and felt something on the left side of my prostate. Unfortunately, the left side isn't where the biopsy showed any cancer.
That means the I went from a stage T1c to a T2a moving on the border between low risk and intermediate risk.
All in all not really that bad of news even though it sounds pretty bad. Still considered LOW RISK by most standards.
Now for the good news!
This Dr. is great.  He knows his stuff.  He explained everything.  He is very thorough. He wants to do a couple other tests.  He has done well over 1,000 robotic surgeries. Without going into boring detail… He's great, and he has one opening, June 18.  If not then, sometime in July.

So that's my decision.
#Surgery
#Radical Prostatectomy (RP)
#Cut the sonofabitch out!

Enough of the medical crap.  Too much of it can bring me down.

One of my running friends, Dave, got some Stand-Up 2 Cancer shirts for our running group.
He felt like he wanted to do something so he did.
Thanks Dave!
 All of us who made it out for our weekly long run this morning, wore them. Made me realize how blessed I am to be surrounded by good friends.
I need them.
Andrea and I both have lots of good friends who would do anything for us.
And now is the time we need you!
There is no way I can express what everyone means to us right now.
Just knowing that there are so many people who would be there in an instant if needed.

Ecclesiastes 4:9-10
Two are better than one because they have a good return for their labor.  If either of them falls, the one will lift the other one up...

Up to today I didn't think anyone was reading this blog.  I figured I would wait until I knew for sure what treatment I'm going to do before I let the cat out of the bag for the whole world. I found out today from Kelly, people are already reading it.
I was planning on putting it on Facebook today.
Not to complain or get sympathy; I want to know what others have gone through.
I want to learn from their trials, so please feel free to post comments, email, text, call….
I also want to let people read this blog to know what's going on with my treatment, my healing, my recovery. Again, please feel free to post a comment, email, text, call...

You may want to go back to the first post and read in sequence.



3 comments:

Andrea Thomas said...

I love loving you. I am in awe of your willingness to understand all of this; the research, the acceptance, the fight. You are my hero my darling husband.

Kelly said...

You are and always have been my hero. You and Andrea have been there for me in good times and bad. You have kept me moving along even when I couldn't see what was on the road ahead of me. I hope that I can do the same for you.

I love you both to the moon and back.

Heather Scott Partington said...

I've been reading (I'm sure Kel told you) and I've been praying. So sorry to hear this, but so moved by how you are approaching it. Sending support (and wishing I was in better shape--I'd be out there on the trail with you guys). I'm there in spirit!