Saturday, September 13, 2014

Cancer Advice from Consumer Repor

I saw this article on my phone today from a local news station, 
Cancer Test Men Don't Need.

Let's just say, I was moved to contact KCRA news about the article they posted.
The following are excerpts from the email I sent them:

As a 53 year old prostate cancer survivor I was very troubled when I opened my KCRA 3 app and read the article; CANCER TESTS MEN DON’T NEED…. 

… Several of the things that troubled me with your article and the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force are as follows:

- Your article stated, Men aged 50 to 74 should talk with a doctor to see whether the benefits of the test outweigh the harm. What is the harm in getting a $25 blood test when 1 in 6 men in the U.S. will get prostate cancer?

- Your article stated, Test are not likely to detect the cancer at a curable stage.  This year over 230,000 men in the U.S. will be diagnosed with prostate cancer and nearly 30,000 will die of prostate cancer. (From American Cancer Society – not Consumer Reports)  In other words for a large majority of those 230,000 men, prostate cancer is curable.  Should we really be taking cancer advice from Consumer Reports?

- The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force stated in their May 2012 report that, ...very few men die of prostate cancer before age 60.  I’m pretty sure I wouldn’t want to be one of the “very few” men who die of prostate cancer before age 60.  I personally think it is worth a $25 blood test (that my insurance provides at no cost) to find out if I could be among those “very few” men.

- The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force also stated that, ... seventy percent of the deaths due to prostate cancer occur after 75 years. That means that 30%, or 9,000 of the deaths are before age 75.  Not a group I would like to be a part of.

- The U.S. Preventative Services Task Force panel that came up with the recommendation against PSA screening had NO practicing urologists or oncologists.

I could go on and on with facts and figures that support getting a simple PSA blood test to determine the possibility of having prostate cancer, but the best reason I can give as a stage 3 prostate cancer survivor is that a PSA test saved my life.

… In the future I would like to suggest that KCRA not use Consumer Reports when reporting health topics.  However; if you are reporting on the best coffee maker or blender to purchase Consumer Reports should have much more reliable information than the American Cancer Society or Cancer Research Institute.



No comments: